My first attempt on congo bars...and the verdict: kiddos love it and I love it juga...because its relatively easy for me. Yahoooo...will bake more of these yummeh, chewy congo bars next year.
Initially I referred to Kak Yani's 'The Kitchen Guardian' blog, but Kak Yani had it based on invitation now. Alamak...then I searched for martha stewart and other options...and the recipes are about the same. So here goes my version with some tweaking towards the amount of sugar...
315g self raising flour (that's the only tepung I have in the kitchen today!)
1/2 tsp salt
250g brown sugar
3 large eggs (I used grade A)
1 tsp vanilla essence
250g choc chips ( I mixed caramel chips too!)
1. Sift flour and salt. Put aside
2. Mixed (using mixer) butter and sugar until they are mixed well.
3. Add in egg, one at a time.
4. Add in vanilla essence.
5. Put away the mixer. On wards simply use a spatula to mix.
6. Fold in flour and lastly the choc chips
7. Pour into a square tin, recommended 13x9 ( but I just used a smaller square tin I have at home! Hence the look is relatively thicker)
All set to be baked at 170 Celsius for 30 minutes, only. Do not over bake ya...
Alhamdulillah...senang! Love the outcome. But still, this recipe is sweet for us. Will further reduce the sugar, next time la
Give it a try and go bake your congo bars.